Jim PruAssociate Professor
Office: VBRB 171
My research focuses on understanding molecular events coordinating the physiology of embryo implantation using the mouse and domestic ruminants as model organisms. With a basic understanding of these processes, the long-term goal is to identify mechanisms that, when gone awry, contribute to infertility during early gestation (recurrent pregnancy loss). Related to embryo implantation, we are specifically interested in the processes by which the embryo signals its presence as it invades the uterine wall in an effort to establish an exchange apparatus for nutients and waste. As progesterone coordinates many of the aspects of embryo implantation, we are also interested in how ovarian-derived progesterone signals in the endometrium by non-classical mechanisms. We recently demonstrated expression of a novel membrane progestin receptor in the uterus and ongoing studies are designed to test the importance of this putative receptor in uterine function. In related studies, efforts are being made to learn how resident stem/progenitor cells of the endometrium contribute to uterine repair during the estrous/menstrual cycle and following parturition.
- Patterson AL, Pru JK. Long-term label retaining cells localize to distinct regions within the female reproductive epithelium. Cell cycle 2013; 12:2888-2898.
- Patterson AL, Zhang L, Arango NA, Teixeira J, Pru JK. Mesenchymal-to-epithelial transition contributes to endometrial regeneration following natural and artificial decidualization. Stem Cells Dev. 2013; 22:964-974.
- Filant J, Demayo FJ, Pru JK, Lydon JP, Spencer TE. Fibroblast growth factor receptor two (FGFR2) regulates uterine epithelial integrity and fertility in mice. Biol Reprod 2013 epub.
- Pru JK, Clark NC. PGRMC1 and PGRMC2 in uterine physiology and disease. Front Neurosci 2013; 7:168.
- Zhang L, Patterson AL, Zhang L, Teixeira JM, Pru JK. Endometrial stromal beta-catenin is required for steroid-dependent mesenchymal-epithelial cross talk and decidualization. Rerpod Biol endocrinol 2012; 10:75.
- Pru JK. A spectrum of serum dehydroepiandrosterone and sex steroid levels in postmenopausal women. Menopause 2011; 18:11.
- Ashley RL, Henkes LE, Bouma GJ, Pru JK, Hansen TR. Deletion of the Isg15 gene results in up-regulation of decidual cell survival genes and own-regulation of adhesion genes: implications for regulation by IL-1beta. Endocrinology 2010; 151:4527-4536.
- Pru JK, Kaneko-Tarui T, Jurisicova A, Kashiwagi A, Selesniemi K, Tilly JL. Induction of proapoptotic gene expression and recruitment of p53 herald ovarian follicle loss caused by polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Reprod Sci. 2009; 16:347-356.
- Pru JK. Progesterone signaling outside the TATA box. Biol Reprod. 2009; 80:842.
- Zhang L, Kanda Y, Roberts DJ, Ecker J, Losel R, Wehling M, Peluso JJ, Pru JK. Expression of progesterone receptor membrane component 1 and its partner Serpine 1 mRNA binding protein in uterine and placental tissues of the mouse and human. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2008; 287:81-89.